Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sunday

Today has been nice. (I just wrote this post, then lost it. Sad.) We attended the English-speaking worship service here in Ukarumpa this morning, and it was special to be able to worship with the community. The 12th-grade girls had put together the songs and led worship, and a man spoke who is a pastor in the States but has spent some time here with his family too (I heard these snippets second-hand, can you tell?). Due to the varied denominational backgrounds of many here, there is no pastor per se, but various people will take the service each week.

After service, we had a great lunch at the guest house and another chance to chat with the leaders of a drama team from George Fox University, which is visiting various places in PNG and leading workshops on creating stories and performances. We also had the chance, after lunch, for some casual chatting amongst our own team, which was nice.

Around 3, we headed down to the high school oval (sports ground), where a group gathers each Sunday to play ultimate frisbee. While I wasn't interested in participating, I did my part by putting one baby to sleep while his parents played, and then plucking a little girl out of a muddy ditch after an unfortunate fall. Splotched with mud, I headed for the guest house and cleaned myself up. I happily discovered that the internet was working again, and here we are!

In all, it's been a relaxing, refreshing weekend; exactly what I needed to gear up for the coming week.

No comments: