It seems "green" has come to refer not only to the environment in general, but to things that are 'good' for the environment, or at least 'better' than other things. At my former job, we had a 'greening' initiative of sorts, that involved moderating temperatures to save on the energy required for heat or a/c, being issued mugs made out of corn (not sure how that one worked) to be used instead of disposable cups in the office, unplugging power cords when not in use, and other measures.
I was thinking about my "green" footprint today as I stood battle, yet again, against an army of ants determined to take over my kitchen. They launched their best assault yet this afternoon. Jesse and I had taken our lunches (which consisted of leftover meatloaf, 4 baking powder biscuits-turned-grilled ham & cheese sandwiches, and tomato soup) into the other room to continue watching Battlestar Galactica (on which I am now hooked), and I kept watching after he'd left to go back to the church. On my return to the kitchen, the little ants had turned out en masse. After removing all the items from the counter yet again, the orange spray-bottle cleaner and I struck back. Jesse is bringing home some sticky-tack, as a temporary plug for the hole the ants are coming in.
After cleaning up the counter and dishes, I saw another failed attempt at being "green." Sometime last week, during a grocery trip, I noticed some basil plants in small planter boxes that were on sale. (Incidentally, some of that fresh basil had been used in the tomato soup that I thawed out for lunch. But I digress.) I purchased one, and dutifully set it at the front of the sink, where it could receive sunlight, and I would be more likely to remember to water it. However, on hanging out the initial loads of laundry (on which I've previously waxed eloquent), I noticed that the leaves were shriveling up and realized I was baking the little basil plant, since the sun shines on the back of the house all afternoon. I then moved it to the other side of the kitchen (actually, the dining room), where it gets more moderate sunlight and, you guessed it - forgotten in the water department. So I gave the poor struggling thing some water.
On the plus side, there is a cute little lizard living under our house who's probably 4 inches long (not counting his/her tail) and scampers under the house whenever I come outside. Supposedly, our twin-tub washer is environmentally friendly. So is our laundry detergent and dish soap. That's got to count for something. On the minus side, there was a 2-inch or so cockroach in the kitchen last night. The young adults from church were still over, playing on the wii, and I just called, "Jesse, I need you. Big big bug."
Also on the plus side, there is a beautiful flower garden in front of the house which was put in and maintained by the former tenants. As we were walking in one of the first days we lived here, I said to Jesse, "Too bad about that flower garden." "What? Why?" "We're probably going to kill it." "Oh. Yeah."
1 week ago

1 comment:
Hello, Jess!
I love that you have a blog - it makes me feel that I am a little fly on the wall, making sure my friend is doing well. Speaking of bugs...it sounds like you are having a lot of fun with the insect world. The cockroach would drive me insane. I am surprised you were as calm as you were. See, the benefits of wonderful winter?! You are missing it all. :) Cassidy just got her first pair of real waterproof pink boots last night and she is ready for the snow. We just have to wax up the wooden sled and she will be "Wee"-ing her way around our yard. Here is the Cassidy story for the day: Cassidy and I were hanging out and she says "Mommy sit here" and she was patting her lap. "You want me to sit on your lap?" She replied, no head here. So, I put my head on her lap and she squeaks out in her most adorable voice, "I love you". Aaw - I must admit, I melted. That was the first time she said I love you.
The Sunday School class was talking about you today, hoping that you were doing well. Of course, we miss all of the Jessica wisdom you brought to the class. We started a new series from John Eldredge called "Walking with God". It is encouraging Joe and I a ton, to look to God and hear his voice. One thing I haven't done in a while - sit still and listen. I am hoping the growth continues.
Please pray for my mom - she had a mammogram last Friday and they found new lumps which she will have surgery to biopsy most likely this week. We are hoping they are benign - extra prayer is requested. Thanks!
Love you!
Bets
Post a Comment