Last year, I came to visit Jesse around Thanksgiving time, and we made a sort of Thanksgiving meal for the young adults group. In the interest of making a tradition, I decided to make Thanksgiving Dinner for the group again this year. That's right, just me. Thankfully, Jesse took some time out this morning and peeled all the potatoes (white and sweet) and cleaned up some of the boxes from the bedroom furniture so that I could focus on dinner. He also went shopping with me first thing so I'd have all the food I needed.
Things were off to a good start; Jesse cut up the cheap day-old French bread I'd bought for stuffing, and I began sauteeing the onions and celery in lots of butter. I decided to get the turkey out of the fridge, so I could prepare it to be stuffed. I pulled it out, only to flip it over to the back of the package and read: REHEAT ONLY. FULLY PREPARED FOOD. I flipped it to the front, where a strategically placed circle proclaimed "Ready to Eat." I repeated the process a few times. Sure enough. The turkey we'd bought was fully cooked.
I was bummed. We'd bought a slow-cooker this morning because I couldn't find a roaster pan to my liking (nothing big enough that also had a cover), and we'd already started making the stuffing to go in it. I did what any self-respecting cook would do.
I called my mother.
It was highly convenient that I'd started working on this project in the morning, as that meant it was evening for Mom. After chuckling with me about the mix-up, she confirmed that the stuffing would probably cook just fine while the turkey reheated, and wouldn't need more time than that. I was relieved. She stayed on the phone, and Jesse and I chatted with her and my sister in turn while working in the kitchen.
Having redeveloped a plan for the turkey, I placed it back in the fridge and continued working. I boiled and mashed both sets of potatoes, adding garlic to the white potatoes and maple sugar, dried cranberries, and walnuts (among other things) to my signature sweet potatoes. I sang for a bit while I cooked, and that was fun. I missed the camaraderie of the Thanksgiving kitchen, though. For the past few years, I've brought my sweet potatoes to whatever family gathering we've had. Other family members each chip in a dish, and typically, whoever's hosting provides the turkey. There's typically bouncing around in the kitchen, snitching of others' dishes, helping with various tasks, etc. It's a lot of fun.
Don't get me wrong; I've had fun getting this dinner ready. I'm reasonably pleased with what I've accomplished; the turkey is now reheating in the slow-cooker with homemade stuffing, there are apple pies in the oven (with spelt flour crust), two potato dishes awaiting reheating, and before too long, there will be green beans and corn. It's taking the whole day, but it's worth it to keep the tradition alive. Even though they're a world away, my friends and family are gearing up for the same marathon. That's the part that's fun to share in.
(PS - I finally put pics up on facebook. Enjoy!)
1 week ago

2 comments:
I have to say, Nich and I are both big fans of your sweet potatoes. I've made them a couple times, and we LOVE them! :~)
I'm glad :)
Post a Comment