Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A job-hunting we will go

In my typical (pretty much everyday) online job search today, I came across a position that looked somewhat promising.  An international company looking for an accountant to be 2nd-in-command to the controller, and serve as the "technical expert."  It was advertised by a recruiting agency, and the description of the company and position were vague enough that I thought I'd call for further information.  The man on the other end was very nice, and actually told me the most helpful thing anyone has so far - there is an overabundance of commercial accountants in the area.  So, it would appear that the competition for the auditor who is looking to switch to industry would be from those who made the choice to work in industry from the start.

For those unfamiliar with the politics of the accounting world, the position of an auditor is the fastest track to a CPA, at least in the States.  It's high stakes, long hours, challenging, intense work, but you learn things every day.  It's client service, with high intellectual requirements; both sides of the brain are required.  The hope for many people going into auditing is that either they will love it and move quickly up the ranks, or learn from it and then switch to a less time-intensive job further down the road.

Frustrating, then, that in this case experience as an auditor is somewhat detrimental to my marketability.  But at least I know one of the reasons I haven't had much luck in the job market here.  Yes, there is demand for accountants, but there are plenty of people willing to take the nice analyst jobs and not so many to take the auditor jobs.  Employers look for people with experience in the specific roles for which they're hiring - and I can't necessarily blame them for that.  Combine that with the fact that I'm not from around here, and that makes me a complicated hire, to say the least.  

I can only hope that someone will give me a chance.  In the meantime, I keep hunting...

No comments: